Your Symposium Guide
Thank you all so much for making the Astronomers for Planet Earth Symposium 2022 such a resounding success!
Astronomers for Planet Earth (A4E) is an international grass-roots movement of astronomy scientists, educators, students, and amateurs working to address the climate crisis from an astronomical perspective. This was a fully virtual symposium, to provide a perspective on sustainability from experts in the field as well as offer a platform for discussion regarding this extremely important topic. The symposium covers half days from Monday, 28 November, through Friday, 2 December, covering all time zones.
We had nearly 600 registered participants from all over the world, with live audiences of up to 150 people for Zoom streams and discussions, and nearly 3500 combined views on the YouTube videos (so far). These results clearly show that sustainability is of key interest and concern to our community.
You can find the pre-recorded talks, opening/closing sessions, and the panel discussion with large astronomy consortia on our YouTube channel. We have sorted them into playlists, for your convenience:
Our goal is to grow and strengthen the A4E community and define concrete actions and goals for the next year -- so we need you! All people related to astronomy and interested in sustainability are warmly invited to register for this event and take part in the process. We need everyone that is willing to step up and take action for a more sustainable future.
What to expect:
- On Monday and Friday, we will have a global live plenary opening and closing session via zoom, see timetable.
- At any time, watch recorded talks and contributions from experts in the field on these topics:
- Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday we have two session for Q&A and discussion on each topic held in Gathertown. Session A should be at a convenient time for people connecting from Oceania/Asia and Session B for North/South America. Folks connecting from Europe/Africa are welcome to attend either or both.
- On Tuesday we are going to host a panel discussion on sustainability amongst representatives of large astronomical consortia, see here.
- Four workshops on special topics individually organized by participants, see program.
How to connect:
- If you are registered to the event and logged in on indico (see top right of this page) you can see the gathertown and zoom link in the menu to the left.
- You will also receive an e-mail with the connection details.
- If you encounter any problems feel free to reach out to the symposium e-mail at any time.
Submission of contributions is closed - Thank you!
Our organizing team
Sarah Wagner (chair), Beatriz Mingo (co-chair), Lola Balaguer-Núñez, Gaurav Waratkar, Parit Mehta, Volker Ossenkopf-Okada, Rika Kobayashi, Ken Rice, Catarina Fernandes, Adrianne Cool, Leo Burtscher, Agnieszka Janiuk, Andrea Gokus, Steve Agnos, Jessica Agnos, Didier Barret, Julie Bolduc-Duval, Abigail Frost, Katriona Gould, Annie Hughes, Alexander Kappes, Miriam Keppler, Fatemeh Zahra Majidi, Travis Rector, Adam Stevens, Charles Takalana, Kshitij Thorat, Lan Tran, Vivienne Wild, Kathryn Williamson, and Paul Woods on behalf of Astronomers for Planet Earth
This event is partly supported by the grant CEX2019-000918-M funded by MCIN/AEI/10.13039/501100011033.